Monday, July 13, 2015

Destiny Binds by Tammy Blackwell


Note:

Hey guys,

I'm so sorry I haven't been updating but I've been pretty busy. Namely going to Chicago and checking colleges out there. :) Of course, that is no excuse for abandoning this blog but again, sorry. But the positive side is that I just read a few amazing books on my way there and back. Check out my review for one of them!

My Rating:
4.5 OMG I <3 Alex and Scout stars

My Review:

There are a few choice words that I would like to say when I look at this book.

Mind blowing. Incredible. Heart breaking. Snarky. Realistic (well, as realistic as you can get with a book about werewolves).

Hold up, I know what you all are thinking. A WEREWOLF book. Cliché much, Star?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. But this book...is one of the best werewolves book ever. In fact, the werewolf aspect of it isn't even the center of the plot.

Destiny Binds revolves around the life of Harper Lee Donovan, nicknamed Scout. She is snarky, down to earth, witty and seriously cool. Seriously, this girl could probably talk a bear out of eating her. There were so many times that I burst out laughing at her comments that I got a few weird looks on the train.

Scout's life is pretty normal in the small town of Timber, Kentucky. She's got a best friend called Tally and a twin brother Jase who is just as sarcastic. She's also very in love with his best friend, Charlie. :) But when Alex and his older brother Liam comes to town, things begin to change.

Alex is charming, snarky and basically the male version of Scout. He's beautiful and at first, Scout can't believe that he likes her and that breaks my heart. Mainly because Scout thinks she isn't beautiful but Alex likes her for her wit and humor. I wish I had an Alex.

This book is about werewolves but I promise you, it is so much more than that. The characters in this book are so relatable, especially to how teenagers feel, that I couldn't help but fall in love with them all. It's about growing up, liking crushes and dealing with bullies and school. Though these instances aren't obvious, school was a big part of the story in Destiny Binds which I really liked because this IS about teenagers.

Earlier I said it was kind of heartbreaking. Guys, I mean, I shed a few tears reading this book because of how skillfully Tammy Blackwell brought around the tragedy. I'm not going to give it away but it threw me off because I was totally not expecting it. In that way, it was realistic because Tammy showed us that we can't always get a happy ending and that life will sometimes mess things up. I really liked that aspect because it gave the book a lot more depth.

If you're looking for a funny, quick read on a Friday night, read this. I loved the well rounded characters in this book and I hope you will too.

P.S. It's self published too! How the heck is a book this good self published?! Besides a few spelling errors that are expected from a self-published book, I think it's safe to say that Miss Tammy has done a great job.

Oh, and I've included a few snarky comments from Scout and her friends. :)

“Vampires? You think vampires are real? Seriously?"
"The werewolf is asking me if I believe in vampires?” 

“There's an old adage about everything looking better in the morning light. I'm guessing that whoever thought of that had never been punched in the face.” 

“Ground Control to Major Spazz. Can you hear me, Major Spazz?” 

“John Davis smells like Play-Doh. When we were in elementary school, it wasn’t a big deal. I mean, we were kids. Play-Doh was pretty high on the awesome scale. But there comes a time when a guy should stop smelling like crafting supplies and develop a more manly scent, like campfire or gym floor.” 

________________________________________

Find Destiny Binds on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment