Monday, September 7, 2015

Vain by Fisher Amelie


What's up, guys? It's time for another book review! The lucky book to be praised/criticized today is Vain by Fisher Amelie!!!




Rating: 
4.5 VAIN STARS!!!

Summary (from Goodreads): 

If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

Review: 

So...you've read the summary. I think it's the first thing that hooked me. I mean, the cover is gorgeous but that summary...it isn't what you expect. 

A few days ago, my friend and I were at the library, discussing a possible tutoring session that we could hold at the library. Unfortunately, they rejected us. :( It was a bad day only brightened up by one book. This book. :) 

I am a pretty enthusiastic reviewer and I don't tend to give biting, acidic one-star reviews often. I think it is mostly because I understand how hard it is to write a book. I mean, I've tried (and failed). 
I have no FREAKING idea how Ms. Amelie was able to create a book so replete with feeling and emotion that I think I cried a little. 

As you know from reading the summary, Sophie Price is a spoiled, self-centered teenage girl from Los Angeles. She's a people-user and the queen bee of a group of followers. There's no denying Sophie isn't beautiful. The descriptions in the book make her seem like a regular Scarlett Johansson. Boys fall to the ground when she's in their presence. She can make a guy cheat on his girlfriend with a flirtatious smile and a wink.

But it's not until she's away from people and by herself that we see how much Sophie Price hates herself. She thinks her looks are just a facade--a way to hide the truly ugly being behind the makeup and smiles. That's the reason why she uses her friends and takes such good care of her appearance. Because she can't stand the person inside. And my heart breaks for her because she truly believes it.

When Sophie is arrested for drug use, the court sentences her to a few months at an African orphanage. Sophie is to help and change the lives of the kids there. She doesn't know that her life will be irrevocably changed as well. 

There is a perfect blend of romance, love, courage and determination in this book. Sophie is humbled by the horrific things the orphans go through, by the kindness and goodness of the caretakers, Charles and Karina, and the mystery of the young man who works at the orphanage, Dingane. By the end of the book, you'll hardly recognize the selfish, vain girl, so changed by the experiences she gained seeing the struggle and hardships in Africa. Fisher Amelie brings around the extraordinary metamorphosis of Sophie Price, from a girl who thinks she is nothing to a strong woman who knows who she is. 

And OMG, Dingane. Dingane is probably on my Top Ten List of book boyfriends because let me tell you, this boy's got a heart of gold. He's gone through a lot but still sees the good in people. And he loves Sophie so, so much. He's probably the biggest reason why Sophie finds herself eventually. I can't describe the perfection of Dingane. He is just gorgeous. Gorgeous. 

Words cannot describe this beautiful, touching novel. It's full of life lessons that could apply to us. Hopefully, these quotes will give you an idea of the awesomeness of this book and you'll read it!!


“Vanity's a debilitating affliction. You’re so absorbed in yourself it’s impossible to love anyone other than oneself, leaving you weak without realization of it. It’s quite sad. You’ve no idea what you’re missing either. You will never know real love and your life will pass you by.” 

“No one can know sincere happiness, Sophie, without first having known sorrow. One can never appreciate the enormity and rareness of such a fiery bliss without seeing misery, however unfair that may be.” 

“Fear, Sadness. They're not weaknesses. They are overpowering, defining emotions. They make you human, Sophie.” 

______________________________________

Fisher Amelie resides in the South with her kick ace husband slash soul mate. She earned her first 'mama' patch in 2009. She also lives with her Weim, 'Jonah', and her Beta, 'Whale'. All these living creatures keep the belly of her life full, sometimes to the point of gluttony, but she doesn't mind all that much because life isn't worth living if it isn't entertaining, right?

Fisher grew up writing. She secretly hid notebooks and notebooks of dribble in a large Tupperware storage container in her closet as a kid. She didn't put two and two together until after college where it suddenly dawned on her, "Hey, I like writing". She's a bit dense. "No, I'm not." "Yes, you are. Put down that Oreo, your butt can't take any more." "You're rude." "Yeah, yeah." Anyway, she likes to write and has finally beaten her self-esteem into submission enough to allow herself to be scrutinized under the 'other readers' microscope. "No! No! Not a cover slip! Last time it gave me a ra...." (mumbling)

Rescue Fisher from her metaphorical specimen slide at www.fisheramelie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment